Overview of the Alligator Gar Conservation Management Plan for Alabama. Dave Armstrong Alabama Division of Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries Spanish Fort, Alabama, 36527 Phone: 251-626-5153. Email: [email protected] Alligator gar history.
Alabama Division of Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries
Spanish Fort, Alabama, 36527
Email: [email protected]
a bag limit was promulgated at
( October 1, 1992. 220-2-.105. )
Population restoration & enhancement objectives.
In fact, most Alabama bow anglers harvest less than 1 alli-gar per year!
2 to 1 fish/angler/day.
( October 1, 2005. 220-2-.35. )
Conserve and enhance current population of Alligator gar for increased angling opportunities in a unique Alabama fishery.
At MFH, currently holding 5 adult Alli-gar (131-165cm captured during 2005.
Six (6) Alli-gar captured March 3-April 5.
147.1 net-hours = 24.5 net-hours / Alli-gar
Capture at 16.2 - 18.9 C, late am, rising tide.
68.6 & 22.6m x 1.8m x 10.2cm bar multi.
2. Collect additional brood stock Alli-gar.
1. Determine additional number needed?
a. Ensure adequate facilities for captive breeding & rearing program.
2. Develop techniques to increase sampling efficacy. Begin Spring 2008.
1. Is a brood population feasible? Consider routine care & spawning frequency…probably not annually.
2. Maintain larval & juvenile rearing
facilities until preferred stock-size.
1. Determine optimum size at stocking.
2. Determine preferred habitats for
restocking juvenile Alli-gar.
3. Determine water bodies stocked.
1. Establish monitoring plan.
a. Tag with PIT, OTC, FLOY?
2. Monitoring could involve cooperator anglers.
3. Identify Spawning-rearing habitats.
1. Institute trophy tag system?
a. Mandatory report by all anglers.
2. Consider angler-based diary report?
3. Consider minimum size limit?
1. What are “preferred” habitats?
2. Identify areas with spawning & rearing habitats.