Homelessness: A statistics Snapshot Courtesy of The Coalition for Homelessness Intervention and Prevention. The Causes of Homelessness . • Lack of affordable housing • Low wages • Youth aging out of foster care • Domestic violence • Substance abuse • Mental illness
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Courtesy of TheCoalition for Homelessness
Intervention and Prevention
• Lack of affordable housing
• Low wages
• Youth aging out of foster care
• Domestic violence
• Substance abuse
• Mental illness
• Prisoner reintegration
• 6,000 – 10,000 of our neighbors will experience homelessness over the course of a year.
• 44,000 families are at-risk of becoming homeless.
• 26% of homeless people in Indianapolis live in families with children.
• Approximately 20% of our homeless have been victims of domestic violence.
Nationally, women with children are the fastest growing demographic among the homeless
• More than 30% have drug and/or alcohol problems.
• 30% have been affected by domestic violence.
• 13% are veterans.
• Nearly 30% struggle with a serious mental illness.
According to the Institute for Children and Poverty:
• Homeless children are twice as likely to repeat a grade in school.
• Over half of homeless students transfer schools each year. Of these, two-thirds transfer multiple times.
• One in ten homeless students misses at least a month of school each year.
• Homeless children are twice as likely not to be enrolled in preschool.
• The average homeless child in America is only 6 years old.
Research shows that youth aging out of foster care:
• Have low education and employment experience;
• Have high incidence of mental and physical health and substance abuse issues;
• Have high likelihood to be involved with legal system.
Catholic Charities Indianapolis – Holy Family Shelter
Interfaith Hospitality Network
Queen of Peace Shelter
Wheeler Mission Ministries – Care Center
Battered Women Shelters:
A Better Way
Alternatives Incorporated of Madison County
Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Quest for Excellence – Women in Need Growing Strong
Salvation Army Social Service Center
Shelter Wings Center for Women