Delivering an Evidence Based Research & Development Strategy- Why, how and wherefore?. Eileen Dickinson (Head of Profession,OT) Suzie Willis, ( Head OT Research & Development ). OVERVIEW. • Why do it? What are the incentives and drivers? • Where to start? • What do you need?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
(Head of Profession,OT)
( Head OT Research & Development)
• Why do it? What are the incentives and drivers?
• Where to start?
• What do you need?
1. Government Policy
2.Professional requirement (COT)
3. Professional registration (HPC)
‘Occupational therapists are to be able to draw on appropriate knowledge and skills in order to make professional judgements.. through established theories, models, frameworks and concepts of OT.’
The Clinical Specialist & Consultant OT:
- Research (Master degree / Phd),
- Teaching / dissemination of skills , national/ international level
What skills do you already have in your workforce?
What are their thoughts/ views/ motivations?
What are the barriers currently faced?
What supports do they need?
84% Not involved in formal academic studies
90% Expressed an interest in undertaking or participating in research studies
72% Stated that they agreed that as a therapist they should invest more time in keeping up to date with research methods and findings.
87% Felt strongly that as a professional group greater respect and reimbursement would be given to a service that demonstrated greater efficacy
Start at the top:
Reference national policy & professional requirements
Review your trust business case & local initiatives
What will your work proposal add to the required output of the trust: clinical governance: benefits to patient & staff group
-Specify what it is you intend to do
-Identify what changes you hope to achieve
-How you will go about this
-What resources you will need
1. Raise research awareness amongst OT staff
2. Identify research and development posts for OT’s
3. Create an organisational culture that supports OTs as researchers and research consumer
4. Develop staff skills to undertake evidence based practice
5. Enable staff to evaluate planned changes in local practice based on their research findings
6. Ensure sustained support for OTs undertaking clinical R&D activities.
Leadership posts :
Head OT R&D/ Research practitioner
Senior Research practitioners / Clinical specialists
Followers:all accountable through JD and supervision structures, CPD, training, support networks
1.Research & Development steering group
2. Seven Clinically based working sub groups
3. Monthly Link forum & training sessions
R&D consortia & Clinical governance grp
Research active doctors
Anyone else you need to…..