Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. The Diversity of Life The Characteristics of Living Things
All living things are organized into at least one or more cells.
2. The Diversity of Life The Characteristics of Living Things
B. All living things are able to reproduce.
3. The Diversity of Life The Characteristics of Living Things
C. All living things are able to maintain homeostasis--
*Respond to external and internal stimuli
growing and develop
obtaining and use energy
regulating chemical conditions in the cell
4. Biology… …the study of living organisms!!!
5. II. Taxonomy-classifying organisms into groups “Taxonomy is the science of assigning organisms to their taxons (groups) based on structural and biochemical features.”
A. 7 Taxons: (now 8 Taxons)
(Domain) Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species
(broad) ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? (specific)
(Dear) King Phillip Came Over For Good Soup
7. Binomial Nomenclature- is the system of giving an organism a two-part scientific name, the genus name (capitalized) and the species name (not capitalized).
Ex. Homo sapien (Homo sapien)
C. Carolus Linnaeus invented this system to reduce confusion about the identity of organisms caused by multiple common names and different languages
8. Example: Human Beings Kingdom Animalia
9. D. To be a part of a species: An organism must be a part of a group in a natural population and can interbreed and are reproductively isolated from other such groups.
Must be able to produce fertile offspring!
10. III. 3 Domains of Life Bacteria—contains the kingdom Eubacteria
Archae—contains the kingdom Archaebaceria
Eukarya—contains the kingdoms Animalia, Fungi, Plantae, and Protista.
11. IV. 6 Kingdoms
12. IV. 6 Kingdoms
19. IV. 6 Kingdoms
20. IV. 6 Kingdoms
21. IV. 6 Kingdoms
22. IV. 6 Kingdoms
23. Kingdom Animalia The major Phyla of the animal kingdom include:
26. And last but not least . . .
27. How to classify an organism…use a “Dichotomous Key.”
29. The end