04/08/2014. The Effect of Heating Baking powder L.O. I know the gas that is given off when baking powder is heated and can test for that gas safely. I can write the word equation for the decomposition of baking powder. I can describe the effect of heating on proteins. 11:09 PM.
The chemical name for baking powder is sodium
hydrogencarbonate. Its formula is NaHCO3.
There are ___ elements in NaHCO3.
List them and the no. of atoms of each.
1 sodium atom (Na)
1 hydrogen atom (H)
1 carbon atom (C)
3 oxygen atoms (O)
decomposes. This means it breaks down into
simpler substances. The simpler substances
that form are sodium carbonate, water and
Write the word equation for the reaction
sodium carbonate + water + carbon dioxide
What liquid do we use to test for carbon dioxide gas?
To avoid suck back remove the delivery tube from the limewater BEFORE you stop heating
1. Baking powder gives off a gas when it is ________.
2. This gas helps to make cakes _______.
3. The gas given off when baking powder is heated is called ______________.
4. We can test for the presence of this gas using ________.
5. When the gas is passed through limewater it reacts and turns the limewater _______.
6. ______ is used in baking bread to make it rise.
7. Potatoes and bread are good sources of ____________.
8. What can you add to plain flour to be able to use it to make cakes? ____________________________________
Complete clozed passage on ‘Protein’ sheet.