CS365 - HCI. Prof. Ahmed Sameh. Week 2. Reflections. How long should it take to learn a new web development tool i.e. Dreamweaver or Microsoft’s’ new Expression Studio? 20-30 mins to become productive - What is meant by “usability?” Effective to use Efficient to use Safe to use
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Prof. Ahmed Sameh
Problem space theory
Types of error
humans create mental models to explain behaviour.
if wrong (different from actual system) errors can occur
“Negative affect can make it harder to do even easy tasks; positive affect can make it easier to do difficult tasks”
Ask yourself:will design decision exclude section of user population?
• satisfying • aesthetically pleasing
• enjoyable • supportive of creativity
• engaging • supportive of creativity
• pleasurable • rewarding
• exciting • fun
• entertaining • provocative
• helpful • surprising
• motivating • enhancing sociability
• emotionally fulfilling • challenging
• boring • annoying
• frustrating • cutsey
• This is a control panel for an elevator
• How does it work?
• Push a button for the floor you want?
• Nothing happens. Push any other button? Still nothing. What do you need to do?
It is not visible as to what to do!
…you need to insert your room card in the slot by the buttons to get the elevator to work!
How would you make this action more visible?
• make the card reader more obvious
• provide an auditory message, that says what to do (which language?)
• provide a big label next to the card reader that flashes when someone enters
• make relevant parts visible
• make what has to be done obvious
(i) A provides direct adjacent mapping between icon and connector
(ii) B provides color coding to associate the connectors with the labels
(a) phones, remote controls
(b) calculators, computer keypads
How do the following physical objects afford? Are they obvious?
How do the following screen objects afford?
What if you were a novice user?
Would you know what to do with them?