Chapter 4 - Future Tense. Verb Tense Review Exercise 1 p. 60. 1 . future 2. future 3. present 4.future 5.future 6.present 7. present 8. future 9.future 10. present. Future Tense. Simple Future will be going to Future Progressive will + be + verb + ing
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Chapter 4 - Future Tense
will and be going to – use for future time
Key words: tomorrow, tonight, next week
A: Are you busy tonight?
B: Yes, I’m going to meet Julie at 7. We’re going to study together.
A: Are you busy tonight?
B: Well, I haven’t made any plans. I’ll eat dinner, and then I’ll probably watch TV.
3. A: c – plan
B: b – willingness
4. a - prediction
5. b - willingness
6. c - plan
Time Clauses: dependent clause
****begin with words like: ____ and include a subject and verb
Time Clause begins with words like:
When + subject + verb = time clause
When the meaning of the time clause is future, the SIMPLE PRESENT is used.
When Bob comes, we will see him.
Present Progressive – to express an activity in progress in the future
Present Perfect – emphasizes the completion of one act before a second act in the future. (both same meaning)
Dependent clause (time clause) , independent clause
Independent clause (no comma) dependent clause (time clause)
2. After the rainstops, I'm going to sweep the front porch.
3. I'm going to start making dinner before my wife getshome from work today.
4. I'm going to wait right here until Sonya comes.
5. As soon as the war is over, there will be new elections.
6. Right now the tide is low, but when the tide comes in, the ship will leave the harbor.
2. eat... will probably take/ am probably going to take
3. get... will give/ am going to give
4. watch.. .will call/am going to call
5. will wait/ am going to wait... comes
6. stops... will walk/am going to walk
7. graduate... intend... will go/am going to go... get
8. will listen.... am going to listen... am sleeping
Events that are on a definite schedule or timetable, these events contain future time words.
Used for an activity that will be in progress at a time in the future.
I will be studying when you come.
2. Be going to + be + verb +ing
Iam going to be studying at the library.
Key words: when, after, as soon as, before
1. is going to be studying/will be studying...
am going to be finishing/will be finishing
2. is going to be seeing/will be seeing....
is going to be doing/will be doing....
is going to be talking/will be talking.
B: will be thinking/am going to be thinking
An action that will end before another action or time in the future.
Will + have + past participle
I will graduate in June. I will see you in July. By the time I see you, I will have graduated.
Key words: by the time you go/do; already
Duration (how long) an activity will be in progress before another time or event in the future.
Will + have + been + verb + ing
I will have been sleeping for two hours by the time you get home.
Key words: by the time, for ten days, by
Future Perfect and Future Perfect Progressive (rarely used)
1. have been... had been... will have been
2. get... will have already arrived
3. got...had already arrived
4. have been sitting ... had been sitting... will have been sitting
5. will have begun... will have been teaching
6. will have been driving
7.get/will have taken
8. will have been running
9. will have been
1. has never flown
2. have been waiting... hasn't arrived
3. are.... reach
4. didn't own... had owned
5. are having... has been
6. will have left... get
7. went... got....were dancing.... were talking... was standing... had never met... introduced
8. was sitting.... heard....got.... looked....had just backed
1. am taking... leave.... am going.... leave....am going to go.... is studying.... has lived..... knows...... has promised....have never been.... am looking
2. had been raining.... dropped..... is going to be.... changes..... wake.....will be snowing
1. had been
3. had missed
8. had grown
10 was wearing
11. had changed
12. was still
14. had gained
15. had turned
1. will have been
2. will meet
3. will have missed
4. will be
6. will take
7. will no longer be
8. will have grown
9. will be
10. will probably wear
11. will have changed
12. will still be
13. will ask
14. will probably have gained
15. will have turned
16. will look
17. will be