Objectives. Know the main purpose for dairy cattle breeds and beef cattle breeds. Be able to differentiate between a dairy cattle breed and beef cattle breed. Know at least three different breeds of dairy cattle and beef cattle. . Other Names of Dairy and Beef Cattle. Dairy cattle are sometimes referred to as
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Dairy and Beef Cattle Breeds Animal Science 201
Mr. Nathan Jordan
Agriculture Science Teacher
2. Objectives Know the main purpose for dairy cattle breeds and beef cattle breeds.
Be able to differentiate between a dairy cattle breed and beef cattle breed.
Know at least three different breeds of dairy cattle and beef cattle.
3. Other Names of Dairy and Beef Cattle Dairy cattle are sometimes referred to as “milk cows” since milk production is their main purpose in life.
Beef cattle are often referred to as “stocker cattle” or just simply “stockers”.
4. Purposes of Dairy Cattle PRODUCE MILK!!!!!
Reproduce to provide replacement milk cows in future years.
Provide a means of living for farmers in the dairy business by providing the most milk at the least possible cost.
5. Purposes of Beef Cattle GROW AND PROVIDE THE MOST MEAT POSSIBLE!!
Raise young to eventually replace the members of the herd that will be slaughtered for meat when the time is right.
Provide a means of living for stocker farmers when the cattle are sold at the market for either replacement cattle or for slaughter purposes.
6. Dairy Cattle Breeds Holsteins
#1 Dairy Breed in Texas
In 305 days, Holsteins will produce an average of 20,000 pounds of milk.
The cows weigh about 1500 pounds on average, whereas the bulls weigh around 2200 pounds.
Over 80% of all registered dairy cattle are Holsteins.
Originally from the Netherlands.
7. Dairy Cattle Breeds Cont. Jerseys
Second most popular milk cattle breed in Texas. Also called the “Blue Bell Cow”
Produce about 15,000 pounds of milk in a 305 day period.
Cows weigh about 1000 pounds on average and bulls weight about 1500 pounds, making them the smallest dairy breed in size.
Originated in Jersey Island and make up 13% of registered dairy cattle.
8. Dairy Cattle Breeds Cont. Brown Swiss
Popular dairy breed in Texas.
Milk yield is about 16,000 pounds in a 305 day period.
Cow weight is about 1400 pounds on average, while a bull’s average weight will be about 2000 pounds.
Breed originated in Switzerland.
9. Beef Cattle Breeds Angus
One of the most popular breeds in the U.S.
Came to the U.S. from Scotland in 1873.
Most distinguishing mark of the Angus breed is its ability to produce cattle with good marbling, making their beef very high quality.
10. Beef Cattle Breeds Cont. Brahman
Originated from India from the Bos indicus breed.
Main characteristic is the large hump on the top of their neck and shoulders.
Other characteristics include horns that tilt towards the rear of the animal, large, floppy ears, and their throatlatch and dewlap, which have a large amount of excess skin on them.
Most important trait is ability to withstand heat and insects.
11. Beef Cattle Breeds Cont. Brangus
Created by crossing the Angus and Brahman breeds of cattle.
Developed to take advantage of qualities of both breeds, using the hear tolerance of the Brahman and the outstanding carcass qualities of the Angus.
The make up of the breed is 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus.
12. GUIDED PRACTICE 1. What is the main purpose of a) dairy breeds and b) beef breeds?
a) produce milk.
b) grow and provide most meat possible
2. What are the three breeds of dairy cattle discussed today?
Holsteins, Jerseys, and Brown Swiss
3. What are the three breeds of beef cattle discussed today?
Angus, Brahman, Brangus
We’ll now do a worksheet over the breeds together to review.
13. INDEPENDENT PRACTICE Select one of the breeds (dairy or beef) discussed today in class and write a one page report tonight about the breed and its overall characteristics. Be sure to tell whether it is a beef breed or dairy breed and tell what its top two uses are in agriculture.