Welcome l.jpg
Advertisement
This presentation is the property of its rightful owner.
1 / 13

HISTORY OF THE LIBRARY PowerPoint PPT Presentation

Download Presentation

HISTORY OF THE LIBRARY

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Presentation Transcript


Welcome l.jpg

Welcome!

HISTORY OF THELIBRARY

&the Library District


The history of green hills public library district l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

A referendum to establish the Library passed December 8th, 1962.

The Library opened its doors in Oct. 1963 at 10714 S. Roberts Road Palos Hills, IL.

Signing the lease for the Green Hills Library, 08/15/63.


The history of green hills public library district3 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

1st Board of Trustees:

Mr.Herman ConradyMrs.Grace Kordisch

Mr.John CurtisMrs.Mabel Muhonen

Mrs.Lila EllisonMr.Benedict Warren


The history of green hills public library district4 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

Staff of volunteers :

Mrs. Alice Kautz

Mrs. Jo Patterson

Mrs. Ellen Woodman

Green Hills’ 1st librarian:

Lillian Babcock


The history of green hills public library district5 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

In October 1966, Green Hills moved to its

2nd location in a

nearby storefront:

10708 S. Roberts Rd.

Palos Hills, IL

Story hour in the new building.


The history of green hills public library district6 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

October 30th 1971: Ground-breaking for newbuilding at present location (8611 W. 103rd St.).

* Joanne Jenantowsky planned ground-breaking ceremonies.

The Library (3,216 square feet) was erected on highest point in Palos Hills.


The history of green hills public library district7 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

Previous addition and current addition proposals.


The history of green hills public library district8 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

  • Palos Township was originally inhabited by Native Americans.

  • The Illinois-Michigan canal brought many settlers to the area.

  • Cook county reorganized its townships in the 1840s.

  • The township which formed in 1850 was originally named Orange Precinct of Trenton Township.


The history of green hills public library district9 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

  • Hickory Hills was sometimes referred to as North Palos.

  • It was incorporated as a village in 1951.

  • It became a city in 1966.

  • The name comes from its Hickory trees and hilly terrain.


The history of green hills public library district10 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

  • Some say Palos comes from Palos de Frontera, a port on the Gulf of Cadiz.

  • Others believe that palo (singular of palos) was used because it means “stick” or “log” in Spanish.

  • North Palos Community council, which formed in 1957, voted to incorporate Palos Hills in 1958.


The history of green hills public library district11 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

Forts in Palos Hills?

  • Two separate earthworks forts in Palos.

  • They were thought to be French or Native American, but those are just rumors. Their origins are unknown.

  • One fort was located around 86th and 103rd.

  • Another fort was located around 107th and Kean Ave.

Drawing of fort locations from Green Hills Public Library History files.


The history of green hills public library district12 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

  • 1909 – Illinois General Assembly passed legislation authorizing establishment of Forest Preserve District.

  • 1916 – Forest Preserve District of Cook County purchased land in Palos, 288 acres at $90 per acre.

  • It is roughly 14,000 acres now.

Forest Preserve Facts

Forest Preserve Policeman in the 1920s.


The history of green hills public library district13 l.jpg

The History of Green Hills Public Library District

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Lois Kaminske

Anthony Andros

Kristin Johnson

Nancy

Norma Norton

Green Hills Public Library History Files

Encyclopedia of Chicago


  • Login