Diversity in the Workplace SILS September 29, 2010. Dr. M. Cookie Newsom University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill email@example.com. Medicine Wheel Understanding Perspective. UNC-CH Employees by gender and race. UNC-CH Faculty by sex and race.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Diversity in the Workplace SILSSeptember 29, 2010
Dr. M. Cookie Newsom
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
• Goal 1. Clearly define and publicize the University’s commitment to diversity.
• Goal 2. Achieve the critical masses of minority populations necessary to ensure the educational benefits of diversity in faculty, staff, students and executive, administrative and managerial positions.
• Goal 3. Make high quality diversity education, orientation, and training available to all members of the university community.
• Goal 4. Create and sustain a climate in which respectful discussions of diversity are encouraged and take leadership in creating opportunities for interaction and cross group learning.
• Goal 5. Support further research to advance the University’s commitment to diversity and to assess the ways in which diversity advances the University’s mission.
Will be conducted this fall
Will be used to determine programming and changes to the Diversity Plan for 2010-2015
Everyone is made up of variables that have an impact on the way they view the world
These variables are sometimes called “filters” the implication being that we pass external stimuli, written, oral and visual, through these filters to make sense of them
It is impossible for people to be unaffected by their own unique filters when making judgments, drawing conclusions and making decisions.