Spelling Unit # 10. Spelling “rule” of the week: When a word ends in y and is preceded by a consonant, usually change the y to i when adding a suffix that does not begin with i . Do not change the y if it is preceded by a vowel or if adding -ing .
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Spelling “rule” of the week:
When a word ends in y and is preceded by a consonant, usually change the y to i when adding a suffix that does not begin with i. Do not change the y if it is preceded by a vowel or if adding -ing.
Exceptions: dryness, fryer, pay--paid
Focus Rule Words:
1) historical (histor [y to i] + cal)
2) enjoying(keep the y-- preceded by a voweland adding -ing)
3) marrying (keep the y-- adding -ing)
4) buyer (keep the y-- y is preceded by a vowel)
5) payment (keep the y-- y is preceded by a vowel)
6) contextualizeto mention important related information
Contextualize a quote used in a Response to Literature essay; mention when and why a character said that.
7) rejectto refuse to accept
Many dog trainers reject the saying that “old dogs can’t learn new tricks.”
8) concedeto gowith (together), admit truth
I finally conceded that old dogs can learn new tricks; fifteen-year-old Fido just learned to play dead! (Or is he really dead?)
Commonly misspelled words:
9) attendance Did they take attendanceat the dance?
10) cafeteria (A cafeteria is a cafe with a long counter.)
11) niece(i before e except after c…)
cise = cut graph = writing
bio = life photo = light
12) concise to “cut to the chase,” using just the right words
13) biographywriting about someone’s life
14) photograph a writing (or recording) of light on film
15) photosynthesis using light to make something (put together)
Commonly confused words:
16) conscious(adjective) aware
Are you conscious of your snoring?
17) conscience(noun) the feeling of morality
Lying goes against my conscience.
18) beautiful (beaut [y to i] + ful)
19) happiness(happ [y to i] + ness)
20) surprise (sur + prise)