Spelling Unit # 10. Spelling “rule” of the week: When a word ends in y and is preceded by a consonant, usually change the y to i when adding a suffix that does not begin with i . Do not change the y if it is preceded by a vowel or if adding -ing .
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Spelling “rule” of the week:
When a word ends in y and is preceded by a consonant, usually change the y to i when adding a suffix that does not begin with i. Do not change the y if it is preceded by a vowel or if adding -ing.
Exceptions: dryness, fryer, pay--paid
1) historical (histor [y to i] + cal)
2) enjoying(keep the y-- preceded by a voweland adding -ing)
3) marrying (keep the y-- adding -ing)
4) buyer (keep the y-- y is preceded by a vowel)
5) payment (keep the y-- y is preceded by a vowel)
6) contextualizeto mention important related information
Contextualize a quote used in a Response to Literature essay; mention when and why a character said that.
7) rejectto refuse to accept
Many dog trainers reject the saying that “old dogs can’t learn new tricks.”
8) concedeto gowith (together), admit truth
I finally conceded that old dogs can learn new tricks; fifteen-year-old Fido just learned to play dead! (Or is he really dead?)
9) attendance Did they take attendanceat the dance?
10) cafeteria (A cafeteria is a cafe with a long counter.)
11) niece(i before e except after c…)
cise = cut graph = writing
bio = life photo = light
13) biographywriting about someone’s life
14) photograph a writing (or recording) of light on film
15) photosynthesis using light to make something (put together)
16) conscious(adjective) aware
Are you conscious of your snoring?
17) conscience(noun) the feeling of morality
Lying goes against my conscience.
18) beautiful (beaut [y to i] + ful)
19) happiness(happ [y to i] + ness)
20) surprise (sur + prise)