C auses of the Spanish – American War. The Battleship Maine. Pan- American Union – a group of nations organized to solve the problems of the Western Hemisphere. War With Spain.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Causes of the Spanish – American War.
The Battleship Maine
Pan-American Union – a group of nations organized to solve the problems of the Western Hemisphere
War With Spain
Lola Rodríguez de Tió– Puerto Rican poet that wrote patriotic poems in favor of Puerto Rican and Cuban independence from Spain
José Martí- Cuban patriot that wrote about the need for Cuban independence. He died fighting the Spanish in 1895.
José Martí - 1875
Listen to La Guantanamera, Cuba's most famous song, based upon Jose Martí's poem Versos Sencillos.
José Martí - Quotations
“Like bones to the human body, the axle to the wheel, the wing to the bird, and the air to the wing, so is liberty the essence of life. Whatever is done without it is imperfect.”
On Morality and Human Behavior:
“Just as he who gives his life to serve a great idea is admirable, he who avails himself of a great idea to serve his personal hopes of glory and power is abominable, even if he too risks his life. To give one's life is a right only when one gives it unselfishly.”
General ValerianoWeyler – Spanish governor of Cuba that used brutal tactics against the Cubans. He was responsible for detaining over 500,000 Cubans and killing over 100,000.
* Americans sympathized with the Cuban desire for freedom.
-Joseph Pulitzer’sWorld and William Randolph Hearst’sJournalcompeted to publish the most grisly stories of Spanish cruelty.
(left) Joseph Pulitzer and (right) William Randolph Hearst
Examples of Yellow Journalism:
· political cartoonsthat portrayed the Spanish as bloodthirsty.
· Joseph Pulitzer once stated, “You supply me the photos, I’ll supply you the war.”
- President McKinley, however, wanted to avoid war with Spain.
Remember the Maine!
· President McKinley sent the battleship Maineto Cuba to protect American citizens and property.
· An explosion destroyed the Maine killing 260 U.S. sailors.
· Spain was accused of destroying the Maine, even though it has never been proven.
· On April 25, 1898, Congress declared waron Spain.
Roosevelt Fights in Spanish American War (3:20)
Video - wreckage of the battleship Maine
Video - burial of the Maine victims