Homework. Find out who or what the following are:MussoliniSchuschniggSeyss InquartFascistsGeneral FrancoNazi Soviet PactStalinDanzigBenesSudetenlandAppeasementNeville Chamberlain. Why Anschluss ?. Hitler was born in Austria, he felt that he was part of the German race.One of Hitler's
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. How Did Hitler Achieve Anschluss ? Anschluss means the joining together of Germany and Austria
By the end of this lesson you should know
Why Hitler wanted Anschluss
How Hitler achieved Anschluss
You will produce a cartoon strip to show these events.
2. Homework Find out who or what the following are:
Nazi Soviet Pact
3. Why Anschluss ? Hitler was born in Austria, he felt that he was part of the German race.
One of Hitlerís key aims was to unite all German speaking people under his rule.
Hitler wanted to challenge the Treaty of Versailles
4. Hitlerís First Attempt - 1934 Hitlerís first attempt at Anschluss came in 1934. **before the re-occupation of the Rhineland**
Austrian Nazis murdered the Austrian Chancellor (leader)
The Nazis tried to take over the government.
Italian leader Mussolini was worried by this and threatened to take action.
Hitler and the Austrian Nazis were forced to back down
5. The Spanish Civil War Hitler and Mussolini were both Fascists (a political group.)
In 1936 a civil war broke out in Spain between Fascists lead by General Franco and the Republican government.
Hitler and Mussolini joined forces to help General Franco.
Italy and Germany confirmed their new friendship with the Rome/Berlin Axis. (Alliance) that was signed in 1936.
6. Hitlerís Second Attempt - 1938 Confident that Italy would not stop him and that Britain and France would try to avoid war Hitler tried again.
He ordered Austrian Nazis to begin riots and protests demanding Anschluss.
Austriaís Chancellor Schuschnigg tried to arrange a vote to decide on Anschluss. Hitler moved his troops to the border.
Schuschnigg resigned and was replaced by a Nazi, Seyss Inquart.
7. What Happened Next ? Seyss Inquart invited the Germans into Austria to restore order.
Nazi troops moved in and imprisoned 80,000 opponents of Hitler.
Anschluss was established 14th March 1938
A vote was held to confirm thisÖÖ
99.75% agreed ?!?!
8. Consequences What consequences do you see?
9. Task In pairs decide what you think are the 8 most important events to explain how Hitler achieved Anschluss.
Join with another pair. As a group agree on 8 events.