Animal Behavior. What is animal behavior?. Anything an animal does in response to a stimulus (change) in its environment. 2 Kinds Innate behavior- inherited behavior, you carry it in your genes. Learned behavior- changes with practice or experience.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
*** One things that makes animals special is that they can LEARN!
“It would seem that grooming one another is very important in maintaining social order.”
1.Courtship- male spider gives gifts to the female, flash a pattern of lights
2. Territoriality- defend or mark it; some use pheremones (chemicals that communicate info to other individuals of the same species)
3. Aggression- growling to deliver message of keep away
4. Hierarchies- , pecking orders, lion prides, alpha male in chimps
4. Circadian rhythm- 24 hour light regulated behavior (sleep/wake)
5. Migration - instinctive, seasonal movement of animals
6. Hibernation- go into inactivity during cold, winter months
7. Estivation- become inactive during intense heat periods
EX: Dog salivates to dinner bell (Pavlov’s conditioning)
Ex. Solving math problems you have never seen- EOC’s!