Unit 1 – Communication Applications. I. Communication - The process of sending and receiving messages A . Communication Process- Message words, body language, & symbols that convey an idea. Sender Receiver Transmits message I ntercepts and
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
I. Communication- The process of sending and receiving messages
A. Communication Process-
words, body language, & symbols
that convey an idea.
Transmits message Intercepts and
Words, body language, & symbols
that responds to the sender’s message
B. Types of Communication-
1. Written Communication- that which can be read.
2. Oral or Verbal Communication- that which is spoken
3. Nonverbal Communication- facial expressions and body movements used to express attitudes or moods about a person, situation, or idea.
Example- “Thumbs up” sign
4. Symbols- anything that stands for an idea and is used for communication.
Example- “peace” sign
(55% of what people think of you is determined in the first 30 seconds.)
II. Laying the Foundation to be a Good Speaker-
1. Intrapersonal Communication- The ability to conduct an inner dialogue with yourself.
2. Ethics- A person’s sense of right and wrong.
3. Responsible- To be answerable and accountable for your actions and you will get done what you say you will.
Example:Unethical: Adolph Hitler, Jim Jones Ethical: MLK, JFK
1. Interpersonal Communication- Takes place anytime messages are transmitted between two or more people.
2. Oratory/Rhetoric-The art or study of public speaking.
3. Orator-A person who delivers oratory and uses words effectively
1. Logos(Logical Appeal) – Brain
2. Pathos(Emotional Appeal) – Heart
3. Ethos(Ethical Appeal)
A. Foundation- Confidence combined with a solid value structure is the foundation for oral communication
B. Outward signs of Confidence-
A. Phobia- persistent, irrational fear that causes us to avoid specific situations
1. Social phobia- fear of being evaluated by others
2. Topophobia- scientific term for stage fright
3. Phonophobia- fear of hearing your own voice
1. Public speaking feared more than dying
2. Everyone in same situation
a. before audience
b. phone with friend or date
c. question in class
d. explaining ideas in clubs
2. upset stomach
3. dry mouth
4. cold hands and feet
5. sweaty palms
6. squeaky voice
8. fast heart beat
9. urge to hide
10. need to use the bathroom
11. shortness of breath
12. hot face
13. wobbly legs
14. worst for the first 30 seconds
Planks of Confidence: