Interest Group Meeting on High Value Fruits Research [Congruent with CGIAR System Priority 3A] Nairobi, 6 June 2007. Objectives : Share key on-going research activities to identify knowledge gaps and research issues that are amenable to, and urgently require, collaborative research projects.
Share key on-going research activities to identify knowledge gaps and research issues that are amenable to, and urgently require, collaborative research projects.
2. Prioritize researchable issues needing to be addressed to create viable fruit industries in developing countries (the goal to achieve the high-value crop vision).
- input into CP pre-proposal development
3. Set up a mechanism(s) (interest group, network, website, etc.) to organize and manage fruit research
-- e-discussions, research and policy workshops, conferences and forums, and other forms of knowledge exchange to promote fruit research.
4. Organize to pursue funding opportunities from various sources for joint research for development activities.
Agenda8:30 Welcome by Tom Lumpkin8:45 Background and meeting purpose by Barry Shapiro9:00-9:15 Relevant CGIAR System Priorities, especially 3A by Dyno Keatinge 9:15-9:30 Fruit results from the Global Horticultural Assessment (Patrick Brown)9:30-12:00 Brainstorming session in plenary starting with sharing of "one" relevant research activity by each institutional partner (10 min each) focusing on its: - a major research gap to be filled - the relevance to CGIAR System Priorities - the critical need for new collaborative research - the potential for funding and funding strategy10:45-11:00 Coffee Break11:00-12:00 Brainstorm sharing continues in plenary12:00- 1:00 Lunch together1:00 - 2:30 Plenary prioritization of researchable issues into 5 top collaborative research projects and formation of project teams2:30 - 3:00 Coffee Break3:00 - 5:00 Project team drafting of idea notes for funding proposals5:00 - 6:00 Sharing of idea notes in plenary6:00 - 6:30 The way forward -- network organization, follow up (milestones, deadlines, etc) in plenary
Noted consistency with Horticulture Comprehensive Assessment, CG Science Priority 3A, and draft 3A Framework
Uniqueness of fruit (versus vegetable) research issues
Mechanism(s) (community of practice, network, consortium)
Outcome – Community of Practice
1. All centers are collaborating with multiple NARES and ARI Partners in addition to the CGIAR, SWEPs and affiliated centers.
1. All centers are collaborating with multiple NARES and ARI Partners in addition to theCGIAR, SWEPs and affiliated centres.