Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Construction Logistics & Safety
2. Construction & Safety It’s never too early to start thinking about construction logistics and site safety…especially since we have to define much of the process for the EIS.
Initial thoughts/questions to focus on:
Site Development, Excavation
Equipment Delivery to Island, Site
Site Logistics, Equipment Storage on Site
General Construction Restrictions, Misc.
Fire, Personnel Safety
3. Site Development, Excavation Besides EIS, CDUP, what permits, permissions required before construction begins
e.g. State DEQ permits for sewage treatment system?
Others (List from AF and ATST EA documents)
Excavated soil (2000-5000 cubic yards!)
Where to place/re-locate?
Extent of direction/correction by Cultural Monitor?
Fugitive Dust Control
Availability of water
Any special site-related issues on this requirement
Hydraulic hammer to break up big rocks
Alternate compaction method (surcharge with soil or other weight)
Consider early work packages for leveling & utilities?
7. Equipment Delivery Large Equipment Delivery to Maui
Port of entry?
Storage areas near port?
Stevedore, other unions?
Sea-level and/or mid-mountain storage facilities
Gemini required ~2 acres for TMA alone!
Road conditions from port to sea-level/mid-mountain storage areas and summit
Size restrictions (width, height, weight)
E.g., bridges, overhead lines
Park ranger shack @ summit
Time of day restrictions of travel
Light pollution from trucks early in morning, after sunset
Bicyclists, tourists to summit
Speed limits on site?
9. Deliveries, cont… Special requirements for boxes of equipment, crates, equipment delivered to summit?
Steam cleaning trucks, crates, etc prior to entrance to park?
List of restricted items?
Crate disposal, waste?
10. Site Logistics & Storage on Site On-site storage of equipment?
Lay-down and staging areas?
Space for crane(s)?
Off-limits areas on summit?
Truck turnaround areas?
Construction trailer areas?
Waiting areas for concrete trucks, etc?
11. General Construction Restrictions Any kind of construction lights okay?
Radio usage okay on summit?
Crane restrictions (e.g., lowered at night)?
Air Force/security concerns, restrictions?
Other facilities traffic by/through our site?
12. Culturally Related Restrictions Morning work prayers required?
When? (we already did geo-tech borings)
Cultural monitor at site at all times?
Cultural sensitivity training required of everyone? Workers, contractors, vendors, deliverers?
Others that we should be aware of?
13. Fire, Personnel Safety on Site Health checks for workers (e.g., high altitude)?
Safety officer on site?
What safety gear, equipment available on site?
“Crash” truck? EMT supplies?
Hazard logs at builders/vendors?
Emergency responders…National Park next door?
Full response … Kula area?
Where is nearest hospital?
Air Force…facility has sprinklers?
Air Force response capacity?
Hot work permit program during construction? How to enforce, etc..
14. Building Life Safety This will be largely per ATST and UH/IfA policy not enforced by any jurisdiction
No local building department or zoning authority will review or inspect
Codes to be used for building design:
International Building Code
Local fire district requirements
Department of Health requirements
ADA Accessibility standards
May have to invest in some outside inspection/safety professional for oversight during design & construction.
Liability and Insurance implications
15. Building & Dome Design - Timing Dome will likely be Design-Build
Coordination with the building design will be tricky
Construction delivery method for Support Buildings
A.F. coating facility will be design-build contract. They feel it allows the contractor more creativity in dealing with the special site difficulties.
How soon to begin A/E contract
It has already been inconvenient not to have the availability of structural, civil & electrical engineers
Get basic foundation design done soon by a separate A/E? especially for pier & enclosure
How important or advantageous to have building design services by a Hawaiian A/E?
Better sensitivities regarding local culture and sense about the local construction industry
Better availability during construction
Better PR for EIS process