Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Major Muscles of the Human Body ( anterior and posterior view)
2. Human Muscular System?anterior view?
3. Human Muscular System?posterior view?
4. Skeletal Muscles
Long, thin, and striped (striated)
Continuous control (voluntary)
Attached to bone at the periostium
5. Smooth Muscle Fibers are organized
Found inside the body
(can?t control your smooth muscle)
Necessary for survival
6. Cardiac Muscle Only in heart
Contain many mitochondria
By age 70 heart contracts 2.5 billion times (assume resting heart beat).
7. Muscular Disorders Muscle ?pull? or ?strain?
Tearing a muscle fiber(s), followed by bleeding or swelling of muscle
Prolonged contraction of muscle, ion imbalance
8. Cont. Tendonitis
Swelling of the tendons due to sharp twist or pull, over use
Inherited disease in which muscle cells break down, gradual weakening of muscles, lose ability to contract
9. Quadriceps muscle(rectus femoris)
10. Muscle Terms Tendon
Long connective tissue cord
Actin and myosin
Attachment to stationary part of bone
Attachment to moveable part of bone
Movement that reduces a joint angle
A movement that increases a joint angle
11. Movements of the body Extension Flexion
12. Muscle Belly to Sarcomere Muscle Belly
Bundle of muscle fibers
Muscle Fiber (cell)
Bundle of myofibrils
Made up of units called sarcomeres
Made up of muscle proteins
actin and myosin
13. Antagonistic muscle pairs(one contracts while the other relaxes)