Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Reintroduction of Species It’s the right thing to do “and you know this, Man!”-- Smokey. SEE-U 2001, Biosphere 2 Center, AZ Professor Tim Kittel, TA Erika Geiger. Mei Ying Lai Lily Liew Adam Nix Eli Pristoop. No species is an island, Entire of itself.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
It’s the right thing to do
“and you know this, Man!”-- Smokey
SEE-U 2001, Biosphere 2 Center, AZ
Professor Tim Kittel,
TA Erika Geiger
Mei Ying Lai
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a confused condor with a fragmented habitat be washed away by the sea,
The world is less.
As well as if a Grey wolf were
As well as if a member of the con group
Or of their friends were,
Each species’ death diminishes me,
For I am involved in the living world.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.
(Paraphrased from “For Whom the Bell Tolls” by John Donne)
Ecosystem Stability > As a human-controlled experiment. This time, we are reintroducing the species without human interference. We can explore other variables that may cause their extirpation. We need this knowledge in order to preserve other species, including ourselves > Preservation of species diversity > Enhancement of an existing population to maintain the ecosystem’s balance (food chain)
Introduction of Disease
Predation or Competition Introduced Species
Competition With Domestic Livestock
Since the wolves kill elk (they kill one elk every one to five days, on average), the grizzly bears, foxes, bald eagles, and golden eagles can scavenge the elk meat that the wolves leave behind. The proliferation of available elk meat, and the reduction in the coyote population, has also meant that there are significantly more rodents for other predators to feed on. A study of genetic variation within and between populations of Grey Wolf and related taxa can also be helpful.
1) Conserving Species, Populations, and Genetic Diversity
2) Species reintroduction targeted
3) 3) Captive Breeding and Reintroduction of Endangered Species: A Resource Site http://www.ags.uci.edu/~mbarrows/
4) Did Lynx Reintroduction Fail?
5) IUCN/SSC Guidelines For Re-Introductions
6) 6) Extinction: http://nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/courses/EEB105/lectures/extinction/extinction.html
7) IUCN/SSC Re-introduction Specialist Group
8) IUCN/SSC Guidelines For Re-Introductions
9) CONSERVATION PART 4: Reintroduction: Should We, or Shouldn\'t We?
10) Biodiversity: Should we try to prevent species from becoming extinct?
11) Requirements for Captive Propagation
12) Requirements for Captive Propagation
13) Yellowstone\'s Wolf Reintroduction