HealthCare/Prescriptions for Californians: There Is a Train Wreck Ahead – in fact, it’s here!. Charlene Jones 916-612-8906 email@example.com. 6/20/2008. Margie Metzler 916-921-5008 firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.gpcal.org.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
HealthCare/Prescriptions for Californians: There Is a Train Wreck Ahead – in fact, it’s here!
This program operates under a grant from the California Wellness Foundation
-- and how can we talk about it so people “get it?”
“Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the most shocking and inhumane.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.
The government is not an alien force. It is us.
Without Health Care for All, we will not regain our dignity as a nation.
Modern Healthcare: April and July Issues 2006
“I don’t believe there’s any problem in this country, no matter how tough it is,that Americans, when they roll up their sleeves, can’t completely ignore.”
Tactics used to scare us
Eureka City Schools – $1.5 to $2.6 million
Salinas UHSD -$4 to $6.5 million
Stockton USD- $9.9 to $17 million
San Diego USD- $15 to $41 million
Elk Grove USD- $2 to $12 million
LAUSD- $127 to $279 million
Long Beach Combined Employer and Employee Savings of $22 million
Visalia USD- $8.7 to $12.8 million
Use payroll tax rates suggested by the Lewin Report, 8.17% for employers, 3.78% for employers, for a combined 11.95%
Democratic Presidential candidate, Barack Obama, kicked off his two week, swing state tour today in Raleigh, NC. In a speech about economics, Senator Obama made clear the differences between his health care platform and the failed Bush/McCain policies that cater to the “healthy and wealthy” and have left some 47 million Americans without health insurance.
Obama pledged to make it easier for every American to get good health care, do away with exemptions for pre-existing conditions, stop drug companies from price gouging, and then said something that was greeted with great enthusiasm by the crowd:
“By the way, I’m going to be partnering up with Elizabeth Edwards, we’re going to be figuring all this out.”
Elizabeth Edwards backed Hillary Clinton’s health care plan earlier in the primary season, but John Edwards’s plan was always closer to single-payer.
Blog comment: As a symbolic gesture, Obama should refuse his government paid health insurance policy, then buy his insurance on the open market, and challenge McCain to do the same.