Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
SUSTAINABLE PURCHASING (Environmental Preferable Purchasing) Presented by Kathleen Ingleby, C.P.M. Progress the University of Utah has made in Sustainable (Green) Purchasing Challenges Learning from other Professionals Recommendations. PROGRESS REPORT FOR EPP.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
(Environmental Preferable Purchasing)
Presented by Kathleen Ingleby, C.P.M.
Progress the University of Utah has made in Sustainable (Green) Purchasing
Learning from other Professionals
WHAT WE’VE INITIATED IN OUR PURCHASING DEPARTMENT
“Environmentally Preferable Purchasing: The contractor is encouraged to offer Energy Star certified products, EPEAT (Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool) recommended products, or products that meet FEMP (Federal Energy Management Program) standards for energy consumption. The University of Utah also encourages contractors to offer products or services that have a lesser or reduced effect on human health and the environment when compared with competing products or services. Items considered in this comparison may include raw materials acquisition, production, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, reuse, operation, maintenance, or disposal.”
4. DISCUSS “GREEN” PURCHASING IN OUR MONTHLY CLASS ON BASIC PROCUREMENT OFFERED TO STAFF AND FACULTY
5. IN SEPTEMBER, WE INCLUDED A “GREEN” PURCHASING MESSAGE IN OUR QUARTERLY P-CARD NEWSLETTER SENT ELECTRONICALLY TO CAMPUS
6. WE SEND OUR MONTHLY P-CARD STATEMENTS OUT ELECTRONICALLY
7. SURPLUS AND SALVAGE RECYCLES COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT
8. GENERAL STORES AND THE BOOKSTORE STOCK RECYCLED PRODUCTS
9. WE INSTALLED WATER COOLERS AND NO LONGER PROVIDE PLASTIC BOTTLES OF WATER IN OUR TRAINING SESSIONS
10. AN OFFICIAL POLICY FOR THE PURCHASING’S SECTION OF THE P&P’S IS IN PROCESS
Energy Using Products
Toxins and Pollutions
1. Support from the top of your organization
2. Outreach / Training / Behavior Modification
4. Getting your suppliers on board
5. Finding out what tools are readily available for your use
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/ (Federal Energy Mgmt Prog.) http://www.epeat.net (Electronic Prod.Environ.Assessment Tool)
Wood and Wood Products:
http://www.fsc.org (Forest Stewardship Council)
Appliances, equipment, and lighting:
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/ (Federal Energy Mgmt Prog)
1. Get your managers support.
2. Identify an internal champion.
3. Start talking to other employees.
4. Put together a communications strategy.
5. Be ready to respond to questions and concerns.
6. Put together a procurement team with representative from various functions in the company.
7. Coordinate purchases as much as possible.
8. Work with existing suppliers.
9. Publish information that demonstrates successes.
Every buying decision you make has a variety of environmental, social,
and economic factors associated with it including: