Health Psychology. Division 38 (Health Psychology) Education & Training Committee Regan A. R. Gurung (Chair) Created 2008. Sample Research Findings in Health Psychology.
Division 38 (Health Psychology)
Education & Training Committee
Regan A. R. Gurung (Chair)
Half of all deaths that occurred in the United States in 2000 can be attributed to a limited number of largely preventable behaviors and exposures (Mokdad et al., 2000). This is where Health Psychologists are particularly effective.
*Mokdad et al. Actual causes of death in the US 2000. JAMA 2004:291:1238-46
Understanding psychological influences:-
- on how we stay healthy,
- why we become sick, and
- how we respond when we do.
1. Promote and maintain health (e.g., stop smoking, buckle belts).
2. Prevent and treat illness (e.g. reduce High Blood pressure).
3. Focus on cause and detection of illness: influence of personality, cognitive processes.
4. Improve the health care system/health policy.