A Data-Centered Approach to Managing Instructional Costs and Enhancing Faculty Productivity Michael F. Middaugh Assistant Vice President for Institutional. Research and Planning University of Delaware National Director Delaware Study of Instructional Costs and Productivity The Delaware Study
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
A Data-Centered Approach to ManagingInstructional Costs and EnhancingFaculty Productivity
Michael F. Middaugh
Assistant Vice President for Institutional. Research and Planning
University of Delaware
Delaware Study of Instructional Costs and Productivity
- Lower division and upper division student credit hours and
organized class sections taught per FTE faculty (for each
- Total undergraduate student credit hours and organized
class sections taught per FTE faculty
- Total graduate student credit hours and organized class
sections taught per FTE faculty
- FTE students taught per FTE faculty
- Direct instructional expense per student credit hour
- Direct instructional expense per FTE student taught
- Personnel costs as a percentage of direct instructional
- Separately budgeted research and service expenditures
per FTE tenured and tenure track faculty
- By Carnegie Institution Type
- By highest Degree Offered
- By Relative Emphasis on Undergraduate versus
Computer & Info. Sciences
Foreign Languages and Lit.
Visual and Performing Arts
Middaugh, M.F. Understanding Faculty Productivity: Standards and Benchmarks for Colleges and Universities. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2001.
Middaugh, M.F., Graham, R., Shahid, A. National Study of Higher Education Instructional Expenditures: The Delaware Study of Instructional Costs and Productivity (NCES 2003-161) Washington DC: US Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, 2003.
Middaugh, M.F. “Managing Instructional Costs and Enhancing Faculty Productivity,” in Journal for Higher Education Strategists, Vol. 1, Number 3, Fall 2003.
Delaware Study (Teaching Loads/Cost): http://www.udel.edu/ir/cost
Delaware Study (Out of Classroom Faculty Activity): www.udel.edu/ir/fipse