TRENDS AND POTENTIAL BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES IN THE GLOBAL LICENSING MARKET. CHARLES M. RIOTTO PRESIDENT International Licensing Industry Merchandisers’ Association (LIMA) WWW.LICENSING.ORG. Definition Of Product Licensing.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
CHARLES M. RIOTTO
International Licensing Industry Merchandisers’ Association
Licensing: The contractual right to use protected materials (Copyrights and Trademarks) owned or controlled by a person or company (Licensor), in return for consideration (financial), most often expressed in the form of royalties (payments) made by the user of such protected materials (Licensee).
6 LICENSING MARKET. Food & Beverage
7. Home Decor
9. Health & Beauty
Toys & Games
Software & Video Games
Gift & NoveltiesTop 10 Product Categories
CATEGORY% OF U.S.MARKET
Entertainment / Character 44.4%
Corporate Trademark/Brand 18.1%
*Source: Global License! Magazine
TRENDS AND POTENTIAL BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES IN THE GLOBAL LICENSING MARKET Before you can buy or sell a license, you must fully understand the purpose of licensing.For the brand owner, licensing provides greater consumer awareness of his property and an additional revenue stream. For the manufacturer, licensing provides a product that has built-in consumer appeal and greatly reduces product development costs.
Increase sales LICENSING MARKET
Sell other products in a line
Build exposure and awareness for manufacturer’s brand name and products
Open lines of distribution
Create better profit margins vs. generic brands
Helps manufacturer at the buyer level
Create additional marketing support
Creates marketing eventReasons To Buy A License
Terms are not conducive LICENSING MARKET
Stiff competition for the “hot” licenses
Cost of product development
Product sell through is tied to the strength of the license
Need to commit to marketing and advertising costs
Financial commitments must be made well in advance of marketing dates
Does/will the license have significant awareness?Things to Consider Before Buying a License
Does the license fit within the product line? LICENSING MARKET
What is the shelf life of the license?
Will the licensor sell the same rights to multiple licensees?
Are the marketing dates of the property (e.g., movie opening dates) fixed, or could they change?
How difficult will the approval process be?
Can you retain the licensing rights at the end of the term?Things to Consider Before Buying a License
Is the property unique or fresh? LICENSING MARKET
Will the visual of the property help to capture the attention of the consumer?
What is the media value supporting the property?
What advertising, PR, and promotional support will there be to help achieve product sell through?
What is the exposure value of the property?
What other licensees have committed to property?Judging A License
Does the licensor have clout to help achieve retail support? LICENSING MARKET
Does the license fit within your product line?
Does the property have awareness with retail buyers?
Does the property allow enough time for product development and sell in?Judging A License
How you market your property can make the difference between success and failure.
The Following are important points to consider when developing a marketing plan for your property:
1. Create a Mission Statement: Have a clear idea of what your property is about, and what goals you are looking to achieve with it.
2. Demographics: Know who is the audience for your property, and direct your efforts and product to that audience.
3. Image: Make sure that the image of your property is compelling, appealing, and appropriate to the market you are attempting to reach.
4. Opportunities: Look for opportunities to achieve exposure for your property. Whether it is through media exposure (TV, film, books) or via promotions, or tie-ins with events, charities, or products that reach the same consumer, exposure is a key ingredient in establishing a property.
5. Tools: Build the necessary tools, such as a style guide, as consistency is the only way you will achieve success.
6. Promote: You cannot assume that your property will be “discovered.” Success is more likely to happen if you actively market your property.
7. Quality: By only associating your property with quality products, you are more likely to achieve and remain successful.
If your desire is to take your property outside of your local market, the question is how well will it be received? All too often, we find that many properties that have wide support in their home country, have little or no success in generating interest in other world markets. The fact is, what works well in one culture, may not have the same appeal in different regions, as tastes vary from country to country.
Steps to make your property internationally friendly