Blood Sampling Tool for Free-Ranging Whales. Researchers: Brad Baum & Rajit Chakravarty. Presentation Overview. Design Problem and Specifications Background Anatomy and Behavior Current Techniques and Equipment Design Ideas Proposed Solution and Why Future Problems Questions.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Brad Baum & Rajit Chakravarty
• Estrous cycles & mating behavior are unknown
• Hormones in blood are crucial to understanding behavior & cycles
• No current blood extraction technology
• Design Problem
- Blood obtaining instrument needed
- Collect 1cc of uncontaminated blood
- Retrievable sample
- Minimal harm to whale
- Accurate and reliable
- Compatible with crossbows
- little blood collected
- fired using a high-powered crossbow
• Contacted other researchers
- vary in length and thickness
• Vacuum Tubes
- self sealing
- glass/ plastic
- rapid filling
- needle extraction from seal
- sufficient momentum
• Size of blood vessels ?