KALA AZAR. DR. I. SELVARAJ I.R.M.S B.SC., M.B.B.S.,D.P.H., D.I.H.,(M.D) Community Medicine.,P.G.C H&HW(NIHFW)New Delhi Sr.D.M.O/ON STUDY LEAVE INDIAN RAILWAY MEDICAL SERVICE. SYNONYMS. kala azar, black fever, sandfly disease, Dum-Dum fever and espundia. PROMASTIGOTES. AMASTIGOTES.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
DR. I. SELVARAJI.R.M.S
B.SC., M.B.B.S.,D.P.H., D.I.H.,(M.D) Community Medicine.,P.G.C H&HW(NIHFW)New Delhi
Sr.D.M.O/ON STUDY LEAVE
INDIAN RAILWAY MEDICAL SERVICE
kala azar, black fever, sandfly disease, Dum-Dum fever and espundia.
1. Leishmaniasis is transmitted by the bite of female phlebotomine sandflies. The sandflies inject the infective stage, promastigotes, during blood meals.
2. Promastigotes that reach the puncture wound are phagocytized by macrophages.
3.They transform into amastigotes.
4. Amastigotes multiply in infected cells and affect different tissues.
5. Sandflies become infected during blood meals on an infected host when they ingest macrophages infected with amastigotes.
6. In the sandfly's midgut, the parasites differentiate into promastigotes.
7. They multiply and migrate to the proboscis.
GOAL OF NATIONAL HEALTH POLICY (INDIA) 2002
ELIMINATION OF KALA AZAR 2010
1. To provide early diagnosis and prompt treatment;
2. To control the sandfly population through residual insecticide spraying of houses
and through the use of insecticide-impregnated bed nets;
3. To provide health education and produce training materials;
4. To detect and contain epidemics in the early stages;
5. To provide early diagnosis and effective management for Leishmania/HIV coinfections.