1. In what year did the United Nations draw up an international agreement on refugees?. A1945B1951C1967 . Correct answer: B. The 1951 United Nations Convention on refugees is the key legal document in defining what the term
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Refugees:How much do you really know?
2. 1. In what year did the United Nations draw up an international agreement on refugees?
3. Correct answer: B
The 1951 United Nations Convention on refugees is the key legal document in defining what the term ‘refugee’ means and what rights refugees have.
4. 2. Which group of people form the largest number of refugees in the world?
5. Correct answer: A
It was estimated that 2.1 million Afghans were living outside their homeland in 2006.
6. 3. What was the estimated total number of refugees in the world in 2007?
A 12 million
B 8 million
C 4 million
7. Correct answer: A
The United Nations estimated that there were almost 12 million refugees in the world by the end of 2007.
8. 4. Which continent is home to the most refugees?
C North America
9. Correct answer: B
At the end of 2007, roughly one third of all refugees were living in countries in the Asian and Pacific region.
10. 5. Which country hosts the most number of refugees?
11. Correct answer: C
The country that receives the most number of refugees in the world is Pakistan.
12. 6. What percentage of the world’s refugees live in the UK?
A less than 3%
B about 5%
C more than 7%
13. Correct answer: A
The UK is home to less than 3% of the world’s refugees.
14. 7. How long are refugees allowed to stay in the UK?
B 10 years
C 5 years
15. Correct answer: C
Since 2005 people recognised as refugees are only given permission to stay in the UK for five years.
16. 8. How much does it cost to prepare a refugee doctor to practise in the UK?
17. Correct answer: A
It only costs £10,000 to prepare a refugee doctor to practise in the UK. It costs £250,000 to train a doctor from scratch.
18. 9. How many refugee teachers are there in the UK?
A 500 – 1,000
B 1,500 – 2,500
C 3,000 – 4,000
19. Correct answer: B
There are more than 1,500 refugee teachers in England.
20. 10. How much money did migrant workers contribute to the UK economy in 2001?
B £2.5 million
C £2.5 billion
21. Correct answer: C
In 2001 migrants to the UK, including refugees, contributed £2.5 billion to the UK economy.