Fundamental Concepts & Terms. IENG 331 Safety Engineering. Why Safety?. Read Chapter 3! Humanitarian Reasons Regulatory Reasons Economic Reasons. What is an Accident?. An event that is not expected or intended Could cause injury loss Implies “chance”. Fundamental Accident Causes.
Related searches for fundamental concepts terms
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
damage to property, equipment, materials
cost of replacement
legal & medical services
Loss of time, production, sales
time to complete forms
public image damageTypes of Losses
1. Prevent the marshalling of energy.
- don’t produce the energy
- don’t let kids climb above floor level
- don’t produce gun powder
2. Reduce the amount of energy marshalled.
- keep vehicle speeds down
- reduce chemical concentrations
- don’t let kids climb above 3’
- elevator brakes
4. Modify the rate at which energy is released from its source or modify the spatial distribution of the released energy.
- reduce the slope on roadways
5. Separate in space or time the energy being released from the structure that can be damaged or the human who can be injured.
- separate pedestrians from vehicles
6. Separate the energy being released from a structure or person that can suffer loss by interposing a barrier.
- safety glasses, highway median barriers
7. Modify the surfaces of structures that come into contact with people or other structure.
- rounded corners, larger surface areas for tool handles
8. Strengthen the structure or person susceptible to damage.
-fire or earthquake resistant structures, training, vaccinations
- sprinklers that detect heat
- tire tread wear bands
10. During the period following damage and return to normal conditions, take measures to restore a stable condition.
- rehab an injured worker
- repair a damaged vehicle