Math pacing
Download
1 / 20

Math Pacing - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 212 Views
  • Uploaded on

Probability - Simple Probability and Odds. Math Pacing. Which measure of central tendency best describes the data? Explain. Mean: 3.1 , Median: 3.6, Mode:1.1. 78, 82, 85, 86, 87, 88, 88, 88, 89, 89, 90, 92, 95, 98, 98. WS 2-5 Practice #3, 4, 6 – 10 (7 problems – 17 points).

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'Math Pacing' - Jeffrey


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
Math pacing l.jpg

Probability - Simple Probability and Odds

Math Pacing

  • Which measure of central tendency best describes the data? Explain.

Mean: 3.1, Median: 3.6, Mode:1.1

78, 82, 85, 86, 87, 88, 88, 88, 89, 89, 90, 92, 95, 98, 98

WS 2-5 Practice #3, 4, 6 – 10 (7 problems – 17 points)


Statistics l.jpg

Probability - Simple Probability and Odds

One way to describe the likelihood of an event occurring is with probability.

The probability of a simple event, like a coin landing heads up when it is tossed, is a ratio of the number of favorable outcomes for the event to the total number of possible outcomes of the event.

The probability of an event can be expressed as a fraction, a decimal, or a percent.

Statistics


Statistics3 l.jpg

Probability - Simple Probability and Odds

Suppose you wanted to find the probability of rolling a 4 on a die.

When you roll a die, there are six possible outcomes, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6.

This list of all possible outcomes is called the sample space.

Of these outcomes, only one, a 4, is favorable.

So the probability of rolling a 4 is:

Statistics


Statistics4 l.jpg

Probability - Simple Probability and Odds

REPEAT: The probability of a simple event is a ratio of the number of favorable outcomes for the event to the total number of possible outcomes of the event.

The probability of an event a can be expressed as:

Statistics


Example 6 1a l.jpg

4 numbers greater than 2

6 possibleoutcomes

Answer:

Find Probabilities of Simple Events

Example 6-1a

Find the probability of rolling a number greater than 2 on a die.

There are six possible outcomes. Four of the outcomes are favorable. That is, four of the six outcomes are numbers greater than two.

Sample space: 1,2,3,4,5,6


Example 6 1b l.jpg

number of favorable outcomes

number of possible outcomes

Simplify.

Answer: The probability of selecting a student with black hair is

Find Probabilities of Simple Events

Example 6-1b

A class contains 6 students with black hair, 8 with brown hair, 4 with blonde hair, and 2 with red hair. Find P(black).

Thereare 6 students with black hair and 20 total students.


Example 6 1c l.jpg

number of favorable outcomes

number of possible outcomes

Answer:The probability of selecting a student with redor brown hair is

Simplify.

Find Probabilities of Simple Events

Example 6-1c

A class contains 6 students with black hair, 8 with brown hair, 4 with blonde hair, and 2 with red hair. Find P(red or brown).

Thereare 2 students with red hair and 8 students with brown hair. So there are 2 + 8 or 10 students with red or brownhair.


Example 6 1e l.jpg

number of favorable outcomes

number of possible outcomes

Simplify.

Answer: The probability of selecting a student who doesnot have blonde hair is

Find Probabilities of Simple Events

Example 6-1e

A class contains 6 students with black hair, 8 with brown hair, 4 with blonde hair, and 2 with red hair. Find P(not blonde).

There are 6 + 8 + 2 or 16 students who do not have blonde hair.


Example 6 1f l.jpg

Answer:

Answer:

Find Probabilities of Simple Events

Example 6-1f

a. Find the probability of rolling a number less than 3 on a die.

b. A gumball machine contains 40 red gumballs, 30 green gumballs, 50 yellows gumballs, and 40 blue gumballs. Find P(red).


Example 6 1g l.jpg

Answer:

Answer:

Find Probabilities of Simple Events

Example 6-1g

c. A gumball machine contains 40 red gumballs, 30 green gumballs, 50 yellows gumballs, and 40 blue gumballs. Find P(green or yellow).

d. A gumball machine contains 40 red gumballs, 30 green gumballs, 50 yellows gumballs, and 40 blue gumballs. Find P(not blue).


Statistics11 l.jpg

Probability - Simple Probability and Odds

You should have noticed that the probability that an event will occur is somewhere between 0 and 1 (or 0% and 100%) inclusive.

If the probability of an event is 0, that means that it is impossible for the event to occur.

A probability equal to 1 means that the event is certain to occur.

There are outcomes for which the probability is ½.

When this happens, the outcomes are equally likely to occur or not to occur.

Statistics



Statistics13 l.jpg

Probability - Simple Probability and Odds

Another way to express the chance of an event occurring is with odds.

The odds of an event occurring is the ratio that compares the number of ways an event can occur (successes) to the number of ways it cannot occur (failures).

ODDS

successes : failures

Statistics


Example 6 2a l.jpg

4 numbers greater than 2

4:2

2 numbers less than orequal to 2

Odds of an Event

Example 6-2a

Find the odds of rolling a number greater than 2.

There are six possible outcomes, 4 are successes and 2 are failures.

Sample space: 1,2,3,4,5,6

Answer:The odds of rolling a number greater than 2 are 4:2 or 2:1.


Example 6 2b l.jpg

Odds of an Event

Example 6-2b

Find the odds of rolling a number less than 4.

Sample space: 1,2,3,4,5,6

Answer: 3:3 or 1:1


Statistics16 l.jpg

Probability - Simple Probability and Odds

The odds AGAINST an event occurring are the odds that the event will NOT occur.

Statistics


Example 6 3a l.jpg

number of ways not to picka 2 or 3

odds against a 2 or 3 = 44:8

number of ways to picka 2 or 3

Odds Against an Event

Example 6-3a

A card is selected at random from a standard deck of 52 cards. What are the odds against selecting a 2 or 3?

There are four 2s and four 3s in a deck of cards, and there are 52 – 4 – 4 or 44 cards that are not a 2 or a 3.

Answer:The odds against selecting a 2 or 3 are 11:2.


Example 6 3b l.jpg

Odds Against an Event

Example 6-3b

A card is selected at random from a standard deck of 52 cards. What are the odds against selecting a 5, 6, or 7?

Answer: 10:3


Example 6 4a l.jpg

odds of the plane being on time

Probability and Odds

Example 6-4a

Travel Melvin is waiting to board a flight to Washington, D.C. According to the airline, the flight he is waiting for is on time 80% of the times it flies. What are the odds that the plane will be on time?

The probability that the plane will be on time is 80%, so the probability that it will not be on time is 20%.

Answer: The odds that the plane will be on time are 4:1.


Example 6 4b l.jpg

Probability and Odds

Example 6-4b

If the probability that it will snow this weekend is 70%, what are the odds that it will snow?

Answer: 7:3


ad