Human Impacts on the Colorado Life Zones. Vocabulary. Consequence . - The result or effect of an action. 2) Ecology. - The study of how living organisms and non-living elements are inter-connected. 3) Fragmentation. - To break habitat up into pieces . 4) Indirect Effect.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
- The result or effect of an action
- The study of how living organisms and non-living elements are inter-connected
- To break habitat up into pieces
4) Indirect Effect
- A result of an action that is not obvious at the time, or is the result of a chain reaction
4) Exotic Species
- A plant or animal that moves into an area where it did not evolve to live. This happens when certain conditions change to make it possible.
Consequences to Our Environment
Human Needs & Wants
Colorado Life Zones
10,000 – 11,500 ft.
8,000 – 10,000 ft.
5,500 – 8,000 ft.
3,500 – 5,500 ft.
Q: Why do we live in a dry environment?
A: Rain Shadow Effect
Where does our water come from?
Consequence: Loss of farmland & wildlife habitat
Need: Jobs & Homes
Consequence: Fragmented wildlife habitat
Consequence: Water & air pollution
How Does Agriculture Effect the Prairie?
Farm chemicals can move into streams by erosion.
Food chain effects of water pollution.
The pollution cycle
What is the lesson ??
We need to make sure our waste is disposed of correctly and safely !!!
Lots of cars!
Human Impacts in Riparian Areas
Dams have destroyed many
Riparian systems in the United
States, and in the world.
Why do we need dams?
Are there consequences to moving water from rivers to reservoirs?
Human Impacts in the Foothills & Montane
When people start building houses in the foothills it pushes out animals that use to live there.
Can you think of any other problems new houses cause?
Wildfire in the Foothills & Montane
How do we balance human safety & keeping environment healthy?
Human Impacts on the Subalpine and Alpine
Tough Problems Need Creative Solutions !!
Human Interactions with wildlife
Tough Problems Need Creative Solutions!
Plants that like dry weather
Create New Wetlands
Here’s some more simple solutions…….
Ride a bike instead of taking the car !
Reuse & Refill!
Keep it out!
Use Non-disposable containers
1) Human activity can affect our environment in many different ways.
2) Sometimes, the effects of our actions are hard to see.
3) Human needs & wants should be BALANCED with environmental consequences.
4) There are always things we can do to prevent or make less impact on the environment!