Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Application of Differentiation
1. The demand equation for a manufacturer’s product is p = 20 - 0.25q, 0 q 80
where q is the number of units and p is the price per unit. At what value of q will there be maximum revenue? What is the maximum revenue?
2.The demand equation for a monopolist’s product is p = -5q + 30. At what price will revenue be maximized?
1.A manufacturer’s total cost function is given by c = q2/4 + 3q + 400
where c is the total cost of producing q units. At what level of output will average cost per unit be a minimum?
2.A manufacturer finds that the total cost c of producing a product is given by the cost function c = 0.05q2 + 5q + 500
At what level of output will average cost per unit be a minimum?
1. For Monopolist’s product, the demand function is p = 72 - 0.04q and the cost function is c = 500 + 30q. At what level of output will profit be maximized? At what price does this occur, and what is the profit?
2. For a monopolist’s product, the demand equation is p = 42 - 4q, and the average cost function is = 2 + 80/q. Find the profit maximizing price
3. Suppose that the demand equation for a monopolist’s product is p = 400 - 2q and the average cost function is = 0.2q+4+400/q, where q is number of units and both p and
are expressed in dollars per unit
a.Determine the level of output at which profit is maximized
b.Determine the price at which maximum profit occurs
c.Determine the maximum profit
% change in quantity
% change in price
1. When || > 1, demand is elastic
2. When || = 1, demand has unit elasticity
3. When || < 1, demand is inelastic
a. Find the point elasticity of demand for the demand function p = 1200 - q2 at q = 10.
b. Determine the point elasticity of demand equation q = p2 - 40p + 400 (where q > 0) at p = 15.
so 1 + 1/ > 0
total revenue increases if demand elastic
so 1 + 1/ < 0
total revenue decreases if demand