6/11/2012. 2. Introduction. The purpose of our presentation is to discuss the uses and properties of 1018 Steel and how it can be applied to camming devices used in rock- climbing applications.. 6/11/2012. 3. Topics of Discussion. What is steel?General Characteristics of 1018Why 1018?Work Harden
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. 6/12/2012 1 1018 Steel Applied To Camming Device Eyes
2. 6/12/2012 2 Introduction The purpose of our presentation is to discuss the uses and properties of 1018 Steel and how it can be applied to camming devices used in rock- climbing applications.
3. 6/12/2012 3 Topics of Discussion What is steel?
General Characteristics of 1018
Work Harden Processing
Heat Treating/ Cold Rolling
Applications in rock climbing gear
4. 6/12/2012 4 What is steel? Steels are alloys of iron and carbon
Among the prominent structural engineering materials
Given AISI or SAE numbering
First two numbers designate the type of alloying element that has been added to the iron and carbon
Last two numbers represent the # of hundredths of a percent of carbon content
For Example: 1018 steel is a plain carbon steel with only a minimal amount of other alloying elements (10xx series) and contains 0.18 % carbon.
5. 6/12/2012 5 General Characteristics of Steel Alloys Low Carbon/Alloy Steel
Term used when up to 5% of alloying elements (nickel, chromium, molybdenum, manganese, silicon) are added.
Alloys increase hardenability to optimize mechanical properties and toughness.
Alloys decrease environmental degredation.
1018: High magnesium content in comparison to other low carbon steels.
6. 6/12/2012 6 Composition of 1018 Carbon: 0.14- 0.20%
Manganese: 0.6- 0.9%
Phosphorous: 0.04% Max
Sulfur: 0.05% Max
7. 6/12/2012 7 Why 1018? High machinability
Yield strength in 50,000psi range
8. 6/12/2012 8 Characteristics of Cold Drawn 1018 Steel
Tensile Strength: 440Mpa
Yield Strength: 370Mpa
Elongation in 2in: 15%
Reduction in area: 40%
Avg. Machinability Rating: 70%
9. 6/12/2012 9 Work Hardening
10. 6/12/2012 10 Rolling Methods
11. 6/12/2012 11 Result of cold rolling
12. 6/12/2012 12 Graphical Results Note: Yield strength and Ultimate strength is reduced as diameter increases. This is due to the increase of dislocations at grain boundaries
13. 6/12/2012 13 Applications in climbing gear
14. 6/12/2012 14 Other Applications Suitable for parts requiring cold forming such as swaging, crimping, and bending
Exceptional for carburized parts requiring soft core and surface hardness
15. 6/12/2012 15 References