Writing Your Own Book. Theme – person/ family Gather genealogy data – certificates, family tree, authentic sources, photos, other documents Arrange into chapters – origin, trip, settlement, family…
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Theme – person/ family
Gather genealogy data – certificates, family tree, authentic sources, photos, other documents
Arrange into chapters – origin, trip, settlement, family…
Collecting data on spousal lines also elicits some unexpected information to help build your own family file
Visit the suburb/town where your ancestor lived – museum, antique shops (old photos), library, neighbours etc
Sub-themes may emerge – sporting / war heroes, family businesses / occupations, prominent citizens…
It’s Easy !
Emanuel Sebastiano DANERO, born 20th January 1807, San Marco, Genova, Italia
Parents, Pietro Antonio DANERO and Angela GARDELLA
Emanuel told his family he came to Australia in 1826. There is also a newspaper article in 1919 indicating same.
This is the alley near where Emanuel’s family lived in 1827 – he was at home in 1827 when a census was taken.
Dott. Ricardo de Rosa, via Negroli 55 20133 Milano
Euro 24 / hour
Home near Piazza de Ferrari
After sailing to Mauritius on the Lord Rodney, Emanuel boarded a ship bound for “New Holland”.
He bought the license to a pub at The Rocks called “The Black Dog” but was cheated out of a lot of money. He vowed he would always, in future, consult a solicitor before setting up a business.
Continued sailing the Pacific as 2nd in command, on the “Dart”. He did a lot of trading and some of these artefacts are still in the family.
Collected by Emanuel during his voyages around the Pacific ocean around 1830 on “The Dart” and “Lord Rodney”
Emanuel was 27 & Mary Comer 15 when they married in Sydney on 20th January 1834. Her father handed over the Bath Arms and 14 acres surrounding the hotel at Burwood when they married.
They had 14 children.
Mary’s family owned 650 acres, called ‘Comerton Park Estate’, 5 miles from Mittagong, which sold in 1928 for 42 pounds per acre.
Mary died in 1863 at the age of 44 after the birth of the last child. There is a ghost.
“ on 20The Sun” newspaper 23 May 1931:-
Before Burwood had a name,
when it was a straggling settlement between coach routes
on the Parramatta and Liverpool Roads,
Rowley’s farm and Faithful’s farm gave their names to the district.
The settlement kept pace with other developments on Parramatta rd,
and a seal was set upon its importance when it became a changing
station for coaches from Parramatta, Bathurst, Windsor and other inland towns.
The Bath Arms, that ancient hostelry at the corner of
Burwood and Parramatta Rds –
no longer will the dusty coaches from out-back
clatter into its courtyard and disgorge weary travelers,
thankful to be on their last lap to Sydney.
Imagine all the colorful colonial history Emanuel became part of!
Opposite the Bath Arms was where English soldiers flogged convicts.
Emanuel deplored this cruelty, and would often visit and help
the Canadian rebels who were detained in the stockade at
Longbottom Concord. He would take them newspapers.
He later employed one of the French Canadians in his hotel.
Original building sold to a brewery for 8,000 pds, demolished 1932
1829 - 1836
1836 – 1893
Mary Ann Jane Neich
1893 – 1909
1909 – 1919
The Bath Arms Hotel, corner Burwood & Parramatta Roads
James Comer, a convict, came from Bath, so presume this is where he got the name.
Extract from Burwood Jubilee Book 1874-1924:
Emanuel Neich was one of the oldest of Burwood’s citizens
having taken up residence in the district in 1834 as licensee
of the Bath Arms Hotel on Parramatta Road. He conducted this hotel
until the time of his death in 1893 a period of 60 years.
He was intimately associated with all progressive movements
and played a great part in the early life of the district.
His hotel was always admirably conducted and he retained the
respect and esteem of all who knew him.”
Extract from Burwood Jubilee book, by George Simpson, Burwood Councillor from 1888:
Emanuel Neich, an Italian, I see him now - a dark, handsome dapper man, who always wore a tall, black silk hat while about his avocations, always courteous and obliging - I heard many a tale of olden days. An honourable, courteous gentleman.
Lansdowne House Burwood Councillor from 1888:
Built c. 1853
Classified by NSW National Trust as ‘significant’
Melaleuca & Clewer, Burton St, Concord Burwood Councillor from 1888:
Terraces built by Emanuel
Emanuel’s eldest child, Susannah, and husband, Richard Hutchinson Roberts
Susannah Roberts - first to be operated on by Dr Walter Brown in 1878. She was 50yrs of age and taken by dray from her home at Bowral to Parramatta. She was operated on at Old Government House Parramatta. The doctor removed an ovarian tumour which was large enough to fill a wash basin, and weighed 14 ozs.
‘the road builder’,
publican and grazier
He started a stage wagon service between Sydney and the Hawkesbury
He constructed, inter alia, George St, Sydney, Old South Head Road and the Liverpool Road
He was the first official landholder at Bondi
Superintendent of Convicts
“Roberton Park”, Bowral NSW Hutchinson Roberts
“Currawong”, Harden NSW
Emanuel’s second child, Mary Ann Neich, married Richard Wynne. They became the first Mayor& Mayoress of Burwood (inaugurated the Wynne Art Prize)first settlers at Mt Wilsonnear Lithgow, a descendant still lives at the house, the Turkish bath house was donated by the family to the Mt Wilson historical society
During his marriage to Mary Comer, he had an affair with Mary Cupitt, a barmaid from the Southern Highlands.
They had one daughter, Sophia Jane Neich, born 1846, between the births of his 6th and 7th child to Mary Comer.
Sophia went on to marry William Whatman and they were the grandparents of Sir Donald Bradman.
Courtesy of Library of South Australia
Emanuel and Mary Parkinson had 10 children Wynne. They became the first Mayor
Total for Emanuel: 25 plus possibly more
Emanuel died 14th October 1893 at the Bath Arms, he is buried at St John’s Anglican Church, Ashfield together with Mary Comer and 7 other family members.
is buried at Rookwood with some of her children.
This family history Wynne. They became the first Mayor
in honour of my father
Dad’s mother, Sadie McDonald, grand-daughter of Emma Jane Neich who married Edward McDonald. Emma was Emanuel and Mary Comer’s 6th child 1845 - 1907