Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Similes, Metaphors and Sensory Language
2. What is a Simile? A comparison made between two things using the words like or as
3. Simile Examples
4. Simile Examples
5. What is a Metaphor? A comparison between two things, NOT using like or as.
6. How can we change the sentence from using a simile to using a metaphor?
7. Sensory Language Writing or speech that appeals to one or more of the five senses.
8. Telling: While John began reading his poem in front of the class, he became nervous. Showing vs. Telling
9. Showing vs. Telling Telling: The pizza was delicious.
11. Lets Answer the Questions! Identify at least 5 similes/metaphors/sensory language within the lyrics.
What is the meaning of the figurative language that you identified?
What is the metaphor within the line, If good looks were minutes, you know you could have been an hour? What is the lines meaning?
What is the overall message of the song? How does the figurative language help convey the songs overall message?
What are the benefits of using metaphors, similes and sensory language instead of simply stating emotions? Support with examples from the song lyrics.
12. Works Cited Category. "Figures of Speech. Figurative vs Literal language.." Special Education. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Feb. 2010. <http://specialed.about.com/od/literacy/a/figurative.htm>.
"EDSITEment - Lesson Plan." EDSITEment - The Best of the Humanities on the Web. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Feb. 2010. <http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=608>.
"Sensory language." Changing minds and persuasion -- How we change what others think, believe, feel and do. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Feb. 2010. <http://changingminds.org/techniques/language/persuasive/sensory_language.htm>.
" YouTube - Ub40 - The Way You Do The Things You Do ." YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. . N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Feb. 2010. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYjpAdBf7NY>.