Here is the detailed information about psoriasis. This includes what is psoriasis, causes, symptoms, types and homeopathic treatment for psoriasis.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
What is Psoriasis?
• Psoriasis is an obstinate skin condition in which red patches of various
sizes develop on the skin that are covered with dry, silvery scales.
Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease that got its name from the Greek
word meaning, 'itch'.
• In psoriasis the skin becomes inflamed and red eruptions appear on
the surface of the skin that begin to itch excessively. These areas form
thickened areas (plaques) that are covered with silvery scales over the
reddened lesions. The skin at the joints may crack.
Causes of Psoriasis
There can be Ideally 2 main types of factors responsible for Psoriasis.
• Internal Factors
• Defective immune system
• Genetics and heredity
• External Factors
• Certain Medicines
• Physical Trauma
• Skin Conditions: Boils, Dermatitis, Herpes Blisters, Lichen Planus, Vitiligo
• Skin Trauma: Acupuncture, Bites, Chemical Irritation, Shaving, Tattoos, Sunburn, etc.
Symptoms of Psoriasis
• Although psoriasis may be almost unnoticeable in its early
stages, patients often report an itching and/or burning
sensation as the disease progresses.
• This photo on the left shows itching (skin after itching) and
bleeding spots thereafter, on psoriasis lesions. In this photo,
the patient has scratched it profoundly to an extent that there
are bleeding spots.
• There are many variants and types of psoriasis. But usually the
course follows like this: It starts with red small bumps on the
skin that progress to bigger scaly patches. The condition is
associated with lot of itching. As the scales accumulate, pink to
deep red plaques with a white crust of silvery scales appear on
the skin surface.
• Although psoriasis may affect any area of the body, it is most
commonly found on the scalp, elbows, knees, hands, feet, and
Types of Psoriasis
Psoriasis has many variants. The common ones are as follows:
• Plaque psoriasis is the most common type of the disease and is characterized by raised, thickened
patches of red skin covered with silvery-white scales. Its scientific name is psoriasis vulgaris.
• Scalp psoriasis is a common variant of Psoriasis, which is relatively more difficult to treat. Please click
on the link to read an elaborate write up on scalp psoriasis.
• Pustular psoriasis: is characterized by pus-like blisters. Attacks of pustular psoriasis may be triggered by
medications, infections, emotional stress, or exposure to certain chemicals. Pustular psoriasis may
affect either small or large areas of the body. Psoriasis video shows this variety.
• Erythrodermic psoriasis characterized by intense redness and swelling of a large part of the skin
surface, is often accompanied by itching or pain. Erythrodermic psoriasis may be precipitated by severe
sunburn, use of oral steroids (such as cortisone), or a drug-related rash.
• Guttate psoriasis is characterized by small, drop-like lesions on the trunk, limbs, and scalp. Guttate
psoriasis is most often triggered by bacterial infections (for example, Streptococcus).
• Palmo-planter psoriasis is a common variant of Psoriasis affecting either the palms or soles or palms as
well as soles. Palmo-plantar psoriasis is a chronic, recurring condition that affects the palms of hands
and soles of feet.
• Inverse psoriasis is characterized by smooth red lesions in the folds of the skin like in the folds of the
skin near the genitals, under the breasts, or in the armpits. Inverse psoriasis is related to increased
sensitivity to friction and sweating and may be painful or itchy.
Homeopathic Treatment for Psoriasis
• Homeopathic treatment for psoriasis aims at addressing the immunological
factors responsible for its development. Immune system is governed by host of
factors such as genetic, environmental, physical, emotional, hormonal factors,
etc. So, homeopathy aims considering the totality of the person who has
• The most distinguishing method in homeopathy is the way homeopathic
medicines are prepared, using a method called Potentization, which allows
hidden therapeutic nano-particles to be released from the source material. The
medicines used in homeopathy are sourced from plants, minerals, chemicals,
animal products, etc.
• Some of the commonly used medicines in homeopathy for psoriasis can be listed
as: Graphites, Kali carbonicum, Thuja occidentalis, Sulphur, Petrolium, Mezerium,
Kali sulphuricum, Psorinum, Arsenicum album, Lycopodium clavatum.
• The homeopathic medicines are always administered in the form of oral pills, to
be taken in mouth. Homeopathy does not believe in applying any medicinal
substance on skin to cure it, except using moisturizer.