Chapter 6- Chromosomes and Cell Reproduction. I. Chromosomes. A. New cells are formed by cell division. 1. An adult human body produces about 2 trillion cells EVERY day! This is about 25 million new cells per second! 2. Cell division allows for this.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1.An adult human body produces about 2 trillion cells EVERY day! This is about 25 million new cells per second!
1.Bacteria reproduce by a type of cell division called binary fission.
3. In asexual reproduction a single parent passes exact copies of its entire DNA to its offspring.
2. As a Eukaryotic cell prepares to divide, the DNA and the proteins associated with DNA coil into a structure called chromosomes.
4. The chromosome has two strands – one from mom and one from dad. A “twist tie” called a centromere holds them together. See page 119.
7. A zygote is a fertilized egg cell.
A. The cell cycle describes the life of a Eukaryotic cell.
4. Synthesis (S) phase- A cell’s DNA is copied during this phase. At the end of this phase, each chromosome consists of two chromatids attached at the centromere.
6. Mitosis-the process during cell division in which the nucleus of a cell is divided into two nuclei.
8. Cytokinesis-the cytoplasm splits.
Interphase (not really a phase)