INDIA. INDIA OVERVIEW. LOCATED IN THE SOUTHERN TIP OF ASIA. LIES ENTIRELY IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE. MAINLAND OF INDIA: North to South 3,200 kms. East to West 2,900 kms. Area is 7 th largest in the World. Land frontier 15,000 kms. Coast line 6,100 kms.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
ANTICIPATED WORST CASE SCENARIO:
- Oil Prices may go up to $45 per barrel.
- Inflation will jump from 4.5% to 6%.
- Impact will persist through Year 2004.
- GDP growth will decrease by 1%.
- Manufacturing and IT sectors will be hit badly.
- Indian Rupee will cross limit of INR 50= US$ 1
DESTINATION OF FDI BY INDUSTRY (YR : 2001) (US$ Millions)
Machinery : 10
Shipping /Maritime: 9
Information Tech: 6
Chemicals & Petro: 6
FISH PRODUCTION ( million tonnes)
1998-99 : 4.25
2000-01 : 5.65
2001-02 : 6.0
- Marine Sector = 50%; Inland Sector = 50%.
- Provides employment to 6 million fishermen.
FISH PRODUCTION POTENTIAL: 8.4 million tonnes
POTENTIAL UTILISATION: 65% only
EXPORTS: $ 1.3 billion ( Year 2001 )
TOTAL INVESTMENT: $ 700 million
TOTAL OVERSEAS INVESTMENT: $ 175 million
MAIN VARIETIES: prawns, shrimp, tuna, cuttlefish, squids,
octopus, red snapper, mackerel, catfish, lobster, ribbon fish.
* National Highways program outlay: $ 11.25 billion
* National Highways (Golden Quadrilateral) : 5,846 kms by 2003
* Multilaning of 7,300 kms of National Highways
* Indian Railways Golden Quadrilateral program: $ 2 billion
* Major Power sector reform - New Electricity bill in 2003
* Major emphasis on Hydro Power ( approx 8000 MW )
* Other important infrastructure initiatives:
- New and privatised Airports.
- National Water initiative.
- Special Economic Zones.
- Urban Infrastructure improvement.
- Rural Infrastructure improvement.
- Solid waste management projects